Nowadays, more pet owners are giving cannabidiol (CBD)-infused products for their pet animals like cats, dogs, horses, etc. This is due to the potential health benefits and therapeutic effects of this hemp-derived cannabinoid. For example, it can be useful for relieving pain, reducing inflammation, managing anxiety issues in dogs, etc. However, it is not used as part of conventional treatment in veterinary medicine due to the lack of substantial evidence about its medicinal effects. In this article, we will investigate the common doubt among pet owners about giving CBD products to animals; read ahead to know more about this.
Can I Give Human CBD Oil For Dogs Or Cats?
Yes, you can give CBD oil meant for human consumption to pet animals like dogs and cats. Having said that, there are few caveats, and they are listed below:
- Do not give CBD for pets if the THC content is above 0.3%; pet animals like dogs are more sensitive to THC.
- You must consult with a veterinarian before giving CBD oil to pet animals, especially if they have any underlying health conditions.
- Always administer smaller doses when you are beginning to give CBD oil.
What Do You Know About Endocannabinoid System And CBD?
All vertebrate mammals, including humans, dogs, cats, etc., have the endocannabinoid system (ECS). Any deficiency or imbalance in this system can make your pet animals sick. Administering CBD oil made from hemp plant strains that have less than 0.3% THC can restore the imbalance of the ECS. This is because cannabinoids like cannabidiol (CBD) have structures and functions like the endocannabinoids naturally produced by the bodies of animals.
What Is The Difference Between CBD Oil For Pets And The Regular One?
Essentially, there is not much difference between CBD for pets and humans if they are made from hemp plant strains that have less than 0.3% THC. Also, they must be organically cultivated following strict government regulations.
What Are The Precautions That You Must Take?
- It is recommended to use THC-free products when giving CBD oil to animals like dogs; THC can make dogs lose their balance.
- The CBD dosage varies according to the weight of your pet animal. So, it is important to strictly follow the detailed dosage guidelines provided by all reputed cannabidiol manufacturers to ensure optimal effects.